More a post-it for myself, what to save when formatting or doing a major upgrade of my linux servers.
– database SQL – Saving /var/lib/mysql is possible but you’ll have to change some maintenance passwords. The easiest is to export your databases with the export function of phpmyadmin or with mysqldump.
– /var/svn – If you have an SVN server
– /var/www – Websites
– /etc – Configuration. Do not re-apply everything ! Choose only some config files for example :
- /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf – Dhcp server config file
- /etc/php/php.ini (can change according to linux distributions) – Php configuration
- /etc/apache/sites-enbabled – Apache websites
- /etc/apache/apache2.conf – Apache config
- /etc/passwd /etc/shadow /etc/group – Users, groups, and passwords. But I may be a good idea to force everyone to change passwords at the same time, and to clean…
- And many many mores…
– /home – If you want to keep user data. You should not have to save that when re-formatting your system because /home should always be another partition than the system “/” partition.
– ~/public_html – If not saving the homes, saves your local websites…
Any other ideas?